Saturday, October 29, 2011

Making a Birthday Cake Bunting - part 1

The last rainbow cake I made was a big hit so I offered to make another for a little girl's 6th birthday.  I am looking forward to the birthday party as there will be a Fairy Queen of Flowers who does fabulous face painting, fairy wand crafts, fun party games and dress up costumes.   

I thought a personalized paper bunting would be perfect to top the cake.  So simple and they look wonderful on cakes.
   
The final party count included 19 children and 12 adults so I decided to make some rainbow cupcakes to accompany the cake.

To make the bunting I gathered my supplies.



I made the paper flags for my bunting using a simple triangle shape but I thought if I had a butterfly punch.... Well.... can't you imagine how adorable little butterflies would be floating above the cake.

So after cutting out my flags, I found using a glue stick was much easier than messing around with a hot glue gun for assembling the flags to the string. 

To personalize the bunting, I printed out letters using the computer and cut them out using a circular paper punch.

The only time I used the hot glue gun was when I affixed the string to the bamboo skewers.


I also made some matching flags on toothpicks for cupcake toppers.


Check in again later to see the 6 rainbow cake layers and the lovely little cupcakes decorated and ready to party!  Click here!


Thanks for stopping by and see you again soon!

1 comment:

  1. I love the flag idea with the birthday year on it. I might do that for my grandaughter. Great post and pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment.